Friday, June 27, 2014

The Thief's Creed

I recently read a comment on Facebook that said "Theology didn't save the thief on the cross."  This got me thinking.  Of course theology per se doesn't save us, but our theology is also our creed.  Our creed is what we believe, and is therefore inextricably linked to our faith.  So, I turned to Luke 23 to see what the thief said, and realized that this man confessed his faith very clearly in his last hours of life.  Here is his Credo, in my own words:

  • I fear God, who has justly condemned me for my wicked deeds.
  • I believe that Jesus lived a sinless life, and is Heir to the kingdom of God.
  • I believe that Jesus is the one who can plead for me - who can release me from my condemnation.
  • I am guilty; Jesus is sinless.
  • I am a man; Jesus is the God-man, my mediator, and my Savior! 

No comments: